The Marlborough Hunt Club
Welcome Jason Cole, Marlborough Hunt Club's new Huntsman. Located in Southern Maryland, The Marlborough Hunt Club's foxhunting territory takes in Prince George's, Anne Arundel, and parts of Calvert and Charles counties. Established in 1936 by its first Master, Benjamin H. C. Bowie, and a core group of founding and charter members, MHC is dedicated to the tradition, camaraderie, and sport of foxhunting.
Whether it is riding at a hunt fixture, competing in a spring or fall hunter pace, training a young horse on an off season trail ride, or cubbing with the young hounds in the Fall, members take time to appreciate the beautiful countryside and one's equine companion as well as work the hounds. Each meet is ended with a traditional hunt breakfast where members enjoy each other's company and retell the events of the day's foxhunting/foxchasing sport. In the early years, there were some wonderful Marlborough Hunt Club fixtures held mostly at lovely old estates in Prince George's County, such as "Beechwood," “Keokuk,” “His Lordship’s Kindness,” “Oakland,” "Montpelier," and “Blythewood,” which extended down along the Patuxent River.
Today, the Marlborough hunt country covers about 25 miles square and takes in parts of Prince George’s, Anne Arundel, Calvert, and Charles counties. It is bounded on the north approximately by U.S. Highway 50; on the east by the Chesapeake Bay; on the west by the District of Columbia and the Potomac River; and on the south by a line drawn approximately from the town of Indian Head in Charles county, easterly to the town of Dares Beach in Calvert county. Marlborough’s country consists of rolling fields and pastures and woodland coverts with a number of trappy crossings. Fences are mostly coops with some board, natural, and post and rail fences.
The Kennels and turn-of-the-century Clubhouse are situated on Hunt Club property along the western shore of the Patuxent River near Hill’s Bridge, east of Upper Marlboro in Prince George’s County. Marlborough Hunt Club was established in 1936 and recognized in 1949 by the Masters of Foxhounds Association of America.